Friday, August 3, 2012

Unfiltering....

So, this morning I get up and I tool around and I realize I haven't even thought about my blog.

I sit in front of the computer waiting something to come to me and nothing really hits me.  Not writers block, just don't feel like there is anything interesting enough to put 'to paper'.

I could tell you how my daughter is sitting across from me eating the rest of the chocolate birthday cake, right off the cardboard (I told her she needs to finish it or I'm throwing it away, because I cannot control myself when cake is in the house....2nd one this week, thank you).

Or, I could tell you I just finished my Cereal and working on my coffee while this constant pain (that I will call sciatica) is running down my right leg.

But none of that is very interesting.....

I can tell you that I told a friend she needs to do some unfiltered writing.

Do you realize how much we filter ourselves throughout the day?  If someone walks by and they are wearing an ugly dress and ask, "What do you think of my new outfit?"  If you were to tell the truth, you'd likely be wearing coffee in your lap; so  you say something safe like, "It's a great color for you!"  Not exactly a lie, but you filtered yourself from saying, "GIRL...it hits you in all the wrong spots and makes your butt look WAY bigger than it is!"

We all do it.

But the problem is, when we filter ourselves, we really don't 'allow' ourselves the real truth.

But we have to filter.  No one REALLY wants to know what we are thinking!  They really don't!  So most of the time it's not worth it!  So we filter.

I believe we get to a point where we literally and automatically stop ourselves.

So, what I try to convince people to do, is take 20 - 30 minutes and sit down; either with paper, or computer and start writing.

I don't care if you start with "This paper is blank.  What a stupid exercise"  start with whatever enters your mind.

EVERY TIME I HAVE DONE THIS I WAS SURPRISED WITH WHAT I WROTE!!!

And I had no idea how I felt about things, really, until I did my unfiltered writing exercise.

You know, it's commonly known that a first draft never makes it to the final destination.  It usually goes through numerous rewrites and sometimes hits the cutting room floor before anyone ever sees it.

This blog I do, is pretty unfiltered.  But then again, I'm pretty unfiltered myself, so no big surprise.

Of course it is important to be "PC"  or politically correct to our public.  However we do have genuine feelings that should be validated if by no on other than ourselves.

Take some time and do this exercise.  You will be interested in what you have to say.

And feel free to share.

I don't judge.

Happy Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment