Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day one

Day one of our trip; we got off without a hitch.  On the road by 10 and arrived in Lee Vining by 4pm.    One thing I found is; the 395 is an interesting highway.  Miles and miles of nothing, until you come upon a small town, slow down to 35mph for about a mile and then speed back up to 80. 

I always wonder who it was that decided, "Nope....THIS is the place!"  and built a town.  And who decided to follow, and why?  These towns are so random it's almost comical.  But they are definitely quaint.

Lee Vining is just such a town.  As we approached, we were all excited to get to our hotel.  But we drove straight through, not seeing our hotel, to just about a mile out of the actual town.  As we pulled up to the hotel where we were to stay, I got a "yikes" feeling in my gut.  The first thing that came to mind was a refugee camp.  There was a long building of rooms that had doors in them.  The building looked pretty small, and the structure itself was cute, but what was weird to me was how the people standing their looked. 

I'm not one to judge, but no one looked happy and they all looked bored.  As my eyes glanced back and forth to each one, I wondered which would come into our room at night and steal my children.

As I didn't make the arrangements for this trip, I was hesitant to say anything to Julie.  But then if you  know me, I didn't hesitate long.

I told her the place gave me the heebee geebees and I wasn't sure if I felt comfortable staying there.

We turned around and went into town to see what else was available.  We saw a hotel that had a 'vacancy' sign and figured we would be in luck.  However, we needed to cancel our old reservations and if that wasn't possible it was a significant financial loss.  So as we drove back to the heebee geebee hotel, I told Julie we should give it a chance and see what comes of it.

As we walked in there was (I'm not kidding) a 13ish year old girl at the front.  She was going to help us check in; we had two rooms.  Well they couldn't have put the two rooms farther apart and as my mom was going to be alone in one of the rooms, I told them this was a major concern.  We told them we needed to find other accommodations and they were very nice.  They said, "You'd better go check and make sure you CAN find other accommodations before you cancel with us." (gulp)

Thankfully, we came to a hotel that could fit all of us in one big suite and here we stayed.  The other hotel let us cancel as they were certain they would be able to fill the rooms that we let go!

As we settled in for the night we started painting nails and doing scrapbooks.  We enjoyed our time together with no TV or electronic gadgets.   It was so nice.

We went to sleep and all was well......

Until about 3am when Avery woke up with an upset stomach. 

One thing you don't know about me; I'm pretty useless in the middle of the night. 

I went with her to the bathroom and laid with her on the floor.  I'm pretty sure I fell asleep for a bit there.  But eventually, she threw up.  My poor baby!!!  I wondered what the morning would bring as we planned a long day at Bodie....the town with NOTHING around it!!!

Thankfully, after she threw up, she went to bed.  Nothing more than that.  It must have been something she ate.

We woke up to the most beautiful sunset.  Avery woke up feeling fine. 

I'm sure today will be an exciting adventure and I can't wait to see what the day holds for us. 

We are off to Bodie and then heading to our long haul destination in Tahoe where we will be for most of the week.  I'm loving the outdoors!!

Happy Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment