Thursday, August 16, 2012

Life as usual

Wow- how does Starbucks do it?  I am in Tahoe, on the California side and I am waiting for coffee.  I actually decided to write while I wait!

This is my second visit here, I swore after the first day I would make my own coffee at home.  But I felt the need to get out this morning so here I am!  At least this time I knew what I was in for and I am ready for it.

If you are a people watcher, this is the place to be.

The first time I came here, the line was out the door.  Though there were a few grumblers, no one left.  When you want your coffee, you want your coffee.

Today there were less people but the wait seems about the same.  As I watch theses people they are content to wait.  Most are on their phones checking this and that....or just checking out as it were.  Not many eyes looking up.

Everyone is complacent.  And most are pretty mellow.  Probably because they haven't had their daily dose yet!  I can relate.  My mornings usually consist of  at least 30 minutes of quiet time before I open my mouth.  I love that time of morning.  So I came here to get it.

Funny how your morning routine gets ahold of you, huh?  I know I am not the only one out there.

This is our last day in Tahoe.  The sky is clear and it is beautiful.  The weather (aside from a bit of rain) has been mild.  We are far removed from the heatwave back at home.  And I am glad.  Because we have no air conditioning to keep us happy.

So trust me when I say I am very content here.

Yesterday we rented a boat.  The lady at the counter was a former mission Viejo resident.

I wondered how she got up here. It I didn't ask.  She has been here for 16 years.  I could tell, because she looked totally relaxed.  How nice is that.

For a second I thought of moving up here myself.  But then I remembered the snow season and decided to stay put.

But I am always curious about people who move.  Mission Viejo is such a nice place to live.  Great people, greet weather, close to the beach and the mountains. And we have a lake.... With paddleboarding and boat rentals.  Maybe I am small minded but I like where I live.

However, Tahoe has been a lovely place to visit.  Especially the Starbucks.

But as we rented the boat yesterday, an let loose on the lake, I had a greater appreciation for the size of this place.  It's huge!  The lake is probably 8 times bigger than Bass Lake and at least 20 times bigger than lake Mission Viejo.

It is completely surrounded by trees and resorts and tons of happy people.

The girls got to go out on a tube on the back of the boat.  And though they had fun, I was a bit nervous.  I felt like I was putting them at risk.  Is that a mom thing?

The other bummer of the tube was - as long as they were on it, we couldn't open it up and go too fast. So like a good mom, I cut their time short and hauled them back into the boat!  It was way more fun going fast on the lake than towing them slowly.

We all loved the experience.

The girls also got to bunjee jump. Not falling off a cliff bunjee... More
Jumping on a trampoline bunjee.  They were so fun to watch.
There is a lot of stuff to do here but more than anything I would like a day to chill.  We still have a few days left on our trip and a lot more planned.

The line at Starbucks just grew again, it is nearly out the door.  Everyone is taking their place in line so I will be kind and free up a seat for the next people watcher out there.

Happy Thursday!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment