Thursday, August 23, 2012

How'd we get here?

You ever look around at your life and wonder, "HOW did I get here?"

Sometimes when I see my teenage self with all my makeup and wild hair, I think about "then"  and then I fast forward to "now".

In my wildest dreams I never pictured myself with kids, or married.  But I don't think I honestly ever pictured myself anywhere!!  I'm not a visionary!!

But I see some of my friends and I see how their lives have turned out and I'm sad for them!!  And I see other people who's lives have gone awry and I just know that in their lives they never said to themselves, "I can't wait to grow up and have my life completely fall apart all around me!!!"

Have you ever heard that???  NEVER!!!

But sometimes we end up 'there'. 

I have said before I'm a witness to life.  I watch those around me; I see what I like and I see what I want to avoid!

Years ago, I was at a wedding; a catholic wedding.  And I remember the priest telling the bride and groom, "In your marriage; the devil will try to pry between you.  He will look for any crack possible and try to make it a wedge.  And you need to be strong in your marriage and tell that devil to "Go to HELL!"

I grew up Catholic and I never heard a priest talk like that.  So, to say I was shocked would be an understatement.  But to say I was amused, would be accurate.  To say it made me THINK....that would hit the nail on the head.

So when my hubby and I married, I brought up things he never thought of, and he wondered why all the fuss.  He would ask, "Why are you worrying about something that hasn't happened???" 

I told him, "I want to PREVENT it from happening!!!"  I am very clear on one thing....  He didn't get it!

But that is okay!  Because I have intentions with our marriage.  I would like it to stay together!!!

In my opinion; one of the main components of marriage is communication. 

As we are in our heads ALL THE TIME, we forget that if we don't bring those thoughts to actual words...they don't exist to anyone but us!!

Have you ever had an argument with your spouse or a friend and won - and they were no where near you??  And then they walk into the room and you let them have it???

I have.

I have learned that to communicate our thoughts , intentions and fears is good.   It opens us up and makes us vulnerable, but it also allows others to connect with us.

If we shut ourselves off, we really do ourselves an injustice. 

I sometimes feel that we all want to conquer the world on our own.  But in truth, I don't believe we were designed that way.  I feel my best when I have my loved ones around me, knowing what I'm going through.  Lending me a shoulder, if you will. 

We are never alone.  We are not the inventors of our feelings.  If you feel them; they have been felt before.  If you close yourself off from those around you, you build a wall; create a crack...and allow a wedge.

If you ever asked yourself, "How did I get here?"  Look back.  I'm sure you will find the answer.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment