Monday, September 10, 2012

Who said what?

Have you ever been knocked down by someone around you?  And your belief in yourself was diminished because of it?

Why do we need the approval of another to accomplish what we feel in our souls?

If you have ever stopped and listened to the stories of the down and out; you likely heard that 'someone', 'once upon a time' was told  that they would never amount to anything!!!

Sound familiar?

I'm sure we have all heard it at one time or another.

When I was a kid, I was fascinated with the stars.  They were so awesome, I could stare at them for years.  I told my mom I wanted to be an astronomer.  Her response was simply this: "Leave the stars in the sky where they belong".

Then, a few years later, I mentioned to my dad that I wanted to be an actress.  (and if you know how dramatic I am, you KNOW this was a perfect fit for me).  His response was simple: "You couldn't stand the rejection".

So I ditched both desires in my life.

Now, who honestly knows how serious I was to be an astronomer, or an actress at such a young age.  All I know is, I'm still fascinated by the stars, and I'm still as dramatic as ever!!!!  My emotional range is OFF THE CHARTS!!!

But I sometimes wonder....  If my mother decided to go out and get me a book on constellations.....  would that foster or deteriorate my desire for the stars?

And if my dad stuck me in a few acting classes..... would I be on movie screens, if even only once???  In the background?  As an EXTRA???

Truth is; we will never know.  Because in my underdeveloped belief system, I was told to 'let it go', and so I did.

And I'm not writing this to throw my parents under the bus; because if truth be told, constellations confuse the heck out of me.  And if someone told me "NO" for a part, I may have partaken in illegal drug activity to cope.  So I do believe I am where I'm supposed to be.  And I'm sure they had no idea how their responses to me would shape my life.

But I do wonder....If I had the conviction for something so strong that I chose to NOT listen to those around me..... where would I be now?

I know I couldn't live without my friends and family.  And I do know that I rely on them for mental health checks to make sure I'm not losing my mind. 

But I think there is a balance between asking advice; and let it dictate your life.

I think if you feel something in your soul; you should go for it.  But most of us don't let our emotions go that deep.

I do believe our lives and souls and desires do go that deep.  And if you let yourself go with it, even if only once in a while.... you will find a sense of peace and contentment.

So don't put all your beliefs into the hands of another.  All they have is an opinion...  and that and a nickel will get you almost nothing......

Happy Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment