Saturday, September 15, 2012

Kids and the like

I'm sitting at the table with 4 little girls who are devouring my coffee cake.   I love the conversations that happen when kids get together.  It's all random and full of laughter.  Each kid is trying to outdo the next so the conversation escalates and pretty soon they laugh even harder.

And I ask myself; why don't we do this more often?  Other peoples kids are so funny.  And I tend to like my kids more too, because they are actually converse. 

Usually, getting ANY conversation out of my kids is like pulling teeth.  I have to ask very specific questions and try to figure out what they are NOT saying and ask more questions to see if I can break the code.

I remember being a kid and NOT telling my parents stuff.  Oh...wait....  That was because they never asked

I remember when kids and parents didn't converse.  And I remember what the kids weren't telling their parents.  It was vast.....

Nowadays parents are in their kids every business.  So involved there's almost no breathing room.

It's hard having that delicate balance of giving space and keeping tabs. 

I have been talking to some parents who gave their kids freedom out of trust and then realized they should have kept a closer eye.

And I have talked to other parents who are fearful of disciplining their children for fear of pushing them away.

The bottom line is this;  we are "parents".  It's our job to monitor our kids.  It's our job to give them consequences.  It's our job to teach them right from wrong and let them know the ramifications of their choices.

It isn't a contest to see who can become their kids best friend and I know a lot of parents feel really guilty when they tell their kids "No" and feel bad about having to make parental decisions.

It's hard to not be 'friends' all the time.  But the truth is, when you are 'friends' with your kid, how seriously will they take you when you try to 'parent' them and guide them?

I know a lady who had a haunting look on her face as she explained it to me.

Some of the best things in life happened to me when my parents said "NO".  I asked my mom to cosign for a loan on a car a long time ago and she told me she didn't trust me.  I was so mad, I went out and got a credit card and started building my own credit and when it came time for me to buy a car ..... I had a PRE-Approved loan from my bank and I bought my first car on my very own!!

Because I was told NO.......

I think kids nowadays are a bit more aware of their parents and their lives because there is a lot more communication going on.  And I know when I have friends' kids over, I can tell how connected the parents are with the kids based on how well the kids interact with me.

I like kids of today.  They are respectful and full of personality.  And if they aren't, I have no problem talking to them about it to let them know what I'm willing to put up with.

So sitting at the table this morning was quite a "Gas" (as they say).  Because these kids are totally comfortable in their own skin and easy to be with.  And I know for a fact their mother has no problem correcting them if they stay out of line.  But I'm sure the kids never do!!  :)

Enjoy your kids.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment