Thursday, September 6, 2012

New Year....New paperwork

A mom's work is never done. 

Why is it the kids come to ME to fill out their paperwork?  What's wrong with their dad's hands?  Or even their own hands?  They are certainly old enough to put in the information THEY know and let me fill in the blanks.  That would be great!!!

But no; they INSIST it must be with my hand!  Have you ever seen my handwriting???  Chickenscratch!!! 

The worst part is; the schools stronghold the kids by offering them an INCENTIVE for turning it in quickly. So the urgency that comes running through the door with these stupid papers is more urgency than I get from my kid when I ask her to clean her room!

I feel bad for schools having to struggle so much.  But I'm tired of the pressure I feel when I am getting hammered by my kids. 

This year we got a "Suggested school supply" list, as if it was optional.  I actually thought about making it optional this year; but when Avery got ahold of it, it was calendared and the dates was set for the shopping day. 

"Optional"........

I can't wait to find out what our other 'options' are for the upcoming year.  Something we need to sell and if we earn $5,000 in products sales we get an eraser tip for our pencils that my kid will kill herself over??  Ohhh....let the fun begin.....

1 comment:

  1. School supplies are a really touchy issue, I know. At my school, each teacher is budgeted $100 for classroom supplies. This includes things like construction paper, staples, tape, sentence strips, pens, pencils, paper clips, rubber bands, dry erase markers and erasers, etc. For 32 students. Personally, I like to save my classroom budget for things like construction paper, glue, paint, staples and tape and the like. It goes really fast. So, the "optional" supply list goes home. What is comes down to is that whatever supplies students don't bring in I buy with my personal money. Before school even starts I regularly buy about $300 worth of school supplies including crayons, colored pencils, markers, pencil boxes, composition books, glue sticks, 2 pocket folders, etc. Once school begins each week when I make my family's grocery list I'm also adding things for my classroom and lessons, like paper plates to hold this and that, raffle tickets for sequencing and ordering and comparing numbers, cheese-its for learning perimeter and area, fruit loops for graphing, flour and salt for mapmaking, kleenex because these kids can go through a box in a day, ticonderoga pencils because those dollar store pencils just aren't worth it, etc, etc, etc. So from a teacher's perspective, THANK YOU for helping out however much you can with optional supply lists!

    ReplyDelete