Wednesday, September 19, 2012

There's an App for that!

Wednesday Wednesday Wednesday.......

I'm looking for new ideas.  I'm trying to switch it up a bit. My old system of remember stuff isn't working, so this morning I Googled "Time Management". 

I remember years ago I got a book; "Time Management for Unmanageable People".  I think it was a "gift".  But how do you say Thank You to someone who is basically insulting you.

That said, the book was awesome.  It was totally for Right Brainers like myself!  (For those who don't know, I'm left handed).  

Although I would like to totally buy into the Left Handed Artsy-scattered thing, I have a friend who is left hand and uses both sides of her brain. Though I would like to think she is an anomaly, I have a feeling I'm just a cliche left handed person.  You know....like the "Blond" cliches.....

But I digress......

The book was actually very helpful and I really enjoyed it.  As I'm a visual person, the pictures were great. But as with anything, it's been years since I have put the book into practice and therefore time to re-vamp.

This morning on Google I found a couple of fun App suggestions.   Every time I find a new App, I laugh and here someone saying, 'Ya...there's an APP for that too!"

I'm here to tell you; it's true!!  There is an App for that and that and that!!

The problem is, sometimes I forget I downloaded them, or I am not sure how to use them, or best yet, I wasted a bunch of time learning it only to 'learn' it wasn't the right app for me.  So now, it's wasted space on my phone.

As I write, there is only one tried and true thing for helping me to remember.....  Sharpie on my hand.  Right now, there is 11 and 3 on my hand and that is to remind me of the two meetings I have that I can't forget!

I don't have "Siri" and I don't have a calendar that I stare at every day, so I write the necessary (I'm afraid I'll forget) items on my hand and go from there. 

Sad I know..  But if it ain't broke; don't fix it!!!!

But that said, I never give up trying.  So this morning when I found the Apps, I decided to give them a try.

One is Epic Win.  It's a game related chore list.  You get points for every task completed.  And though I'm NOT a gamester, I got to choose an avatar called "Warrior Priestess".  Now, how can you go wrong with that???  I'm feeling energetic and powerful already!!!

I typed in my first task which is the highest priority for me to finish.  As it is the first and most important task; it gives me 300 points if I finish.

The second App I downloaded is ReQall.  It's supposed to be like "Siri" I suppose.  I've already issued my first reminder and it's been 'typing what I said' for over a minute now.  Either I didn't speak clearly enough, or some aged and blind person is hunting and pecking on an old IBM Selectric.    It's not looking good this far; will have to keep you posted!!!

My biggest problem is I'm like a dog.  Dog's never progress mentally over 2 years old.  They can be trained to do things, but they will always get distracted by what's around them....you know....like a squirrel or something!!!

Not to say I'm a dog.  I'm not putting myself down per se; I'm just very aware how easily I get distracted.  So if I can find something fun to keep me on task, then I say go for it.

I actually think the first app would be fun for the kids to play.  It looks easy enough for them to set up and if they get 300 points for putting away their clothes, don't you think they would be a little more apt to participate?  And if it works on the kids then what about the husband??  How many points might entice him to put the toilet seat down?  (Well, okay, mine does that but some don't!)

Anyway, you see my point.  Life is full of mucky things to get done.  If there is an app to make it a little more fun and help keep focus, then I'm all in!!

I guess I'll let you know how it goes.  But if I have to spend more than 5 minutes setting it up - it will end up in my pile of useless apps on my phone wasting space and precious time for every time I have to 'thumb' over it!

Life's a journey.  You gotta take a couple of chances.  Today is my day!!!

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment