Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Weather and such

I'm sitting here with a blanket on my lap as I write.  What a strong contrast to just a few short days ago where the air was so stagnant and hot I could barely breathe. 

Last night, instead of the air conditioner; I opened the window for cool air. 

I don't know why the turn in the weather.  It was scheduled for 90s this week.  But to be honest, I don't really care, because I'm LOVING it!!!!!

I don't want to get my hopes up and say Fall is coming; but I sure love the feeling of a chill in the air.

I do love summer, but only for the fact that it's a free and fun time and the girls have school off.  I love warm summer nights and I love sitting by the beach listening to the waves.

But cooler weather is way more comfortable to me.

There were a LOT of opinions on the hot weather we were having.  It was a LOT of days of hot and yucky weather.

I laughed the other day, because as I was doing carpool I was talking to the boys and one of them said that soccer was canceled in the afternoon.  I understand why; the weather was awful.  But I asked the boy, "Do you think they cancel their soccer tournaments in Arizona?"  He laughed and said, "You're right!"

I understand that here is different than there.  We are not used to the heat.  But the truth is; people live in all sorts of different weather and they survive.

When we have heatwaves here, we usually hear of some fragile, elderly person passing away from heatstroke. 

And last year, one of the boys in school was sent to the hospital from dehydration.

If you aren't taking care of yourself in the heat, you will be in trouble, that is for sure.

But I know thousands of elderly retire in Florida. And if you have ever been there with that oppressive humid heat, you know that what we were dealing with here is not unique, or even that bad as you look at the grander scale.

But such a change in weather, I think is more the issue. If you are used to drinking 6 waters a day and the heat changes drastically, 6 waters won't be enough.  And since you aren't sure how much you need to adjust; that could be a problem.

I think awareness is most important.  But most of us aren't aware how to adjust, so we just sit back and complain about the misery.

I complained too.  My AC wasn't working so great and I don't want to imagine what the electric bill will be when the month is up. 

Hopefully that is the end of the heatwave, but I'm not going to be too confident.  I will just love every day I have to throw a blanket on my lap.  And I will look forward to that fabulous smell in the air that October brings. 

Halloween is just around the corner.  Avery's already hitting me up for Costume Castle. 

That thought alone, gives me much to look forward to!

Happy Chillday!

No comments:

Post a Comment