Monday, September 17, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Last night I watched a movie; Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. 

I remember when the movie came out in the theater.  I refused to watch it.
I was invited to go to the movie, but I turned it down.  It was going to be a sad movie about 9-11 and I wasn't in a place in my life where I wanted to sit for 2 hours and cry.

But for some reason, last night I saw it was on, and I decided to hunker down.

The movie wasn't exactly as I expected.  It was a variety of many things.  It was actually quite complex.

The movie started out with the dad who had died; and they flashed back to him.  The son was 11 years old and uber bright.  His dad seemed to be the one and only person who could connect with him completely.  The portrayal of their relationship brought me to tears.  It takes a special kind of parent and some serious ingenuity to create a relationship like they had.

After his dad dies in the World Trade Center, the son finds a key.  His journey in the movie is to find the meaning of the key and figure out what it opens.

Along the way, he meets many people; but his journey is what is so interesting.  His dad's purpose, when he was alive, was to help the boy come out of his shell and confront his fears.  This journey of the key was made possible by the steps his dad took when he was alive.

I don't want to give it all away, but I have to comment on how emotionally complex this movie was.  I was trying to figure out the 'story' of each character.  I was really drawn in.

This boy was clearly special.  He was extremely talented and inquisitive.  His mother did her best to pick up the pieces of their lives, but as she was going through her own grief, and because the boy was so special, she didn't have the same means as the father and it was quite a struggle.

It's hard to find a movie that makes you laugh and cry at the same time.  The last movie I found doing that was Steel Magnolias in the scene at the cemetery and the mother went crazy for a moment.  And then her friends brought her back to reality by offering Weeza up to hit. 

This movie made me think and reflect.  It hurt my heart and lifted my spirits.  It was beautifully written and though not all will connect as deeply as I did with the movie, I do believe the characters were easily able to identify with.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to see the movie.  I just think it's rare to find the unique blend of a good story, complex characters and a movie that leaves you thinking about it after it ends.

I really loved the boy.  It took me a bit to connect with him, but boy, once I did, I was in. 

I recorded it and I think I might watch it with the girls.  Though it's a complex story, I think it's a story that should be shared.  I'm sure much of it will go way over their heads, but that's okay.  Any movie night other than Disney at this point will be fine by me!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment